A belated addition: women in baseball


Women's History Month ended a week ago, and I was too late finding cards of notable women baseball players, so with the maxim of "better late than never" in mind, I have made seven paintings of players from the All-American Girls' Professional Baseball League, the Colorado Silver Bullets, and Alyssa Nakken, the first woman to coach in Major League Baseball with the San Francisco Giants.

One of the players I particularly remember fondly: Julie Croteau, who grew up in the Washington, DC area, tried unsuccessfully to play for her high school baseball team, and became the first woman to play college baseball. She was two years ahead of me in school, so when I first heard of her in my sophomore year, just as I started loving the sport, I was impressed by her drive and willingness to use sport to change the world. Click here to see the paintings.

Comments